Teenage is a very confusing and chaotic stage in life. Your hormones are all over the place and you are at a very impressionable and vulnerable age. Friends can greatly influence you at this stage. You might feel that your friends are doing the right thing and more often than not, you might compare your life with them. This comparison, or peer pressure if you may, is usually easy to handle if you are surrounded by a good value system. However, if your friends’ attitudes and behaviours are different than yours, then you might have to suffer from this so-called peer-pressure. Here, we shall look at 10 great tips for dealing with peer pressure!
10 Great Tips For Dealing With Peer Pressure –
- Avoid situations or people that don’t feel right. Set boundaries for yourself. Do what you think is right for you.
- Always weigh in how you feel about certain actions. Consider the pros and cons before you take any decision.
- It is not ok for others to belittle or shame you. You should recognize these unhealthy dynamics and ask them to stop.
- Spend time with people who respect you. These people will not put pressure on you to conform.
- You cannot and do not have to please everyone!
- If your peers are pressurizing you into something, try the ‘delay’ tactic. Do not think of an immediate answer, but ask for some time to think.
- When you can’t avoid a pressure-filled situation, learn to say NO.
- If you are unable to say no outrightly, it is ok to use an excuse.
- Stand up for others in similar situations.
- Do not hesitate to ask others for their help. It may be a trusted friend or family member. Also, if you need to, do not hesitate to ask for professional help.
It is important t be able to handle peer pressure and hold your own ground. Follow the aforesaid 10 great tips for dealing with peer pressure and waltz through your teens.
Read more: Are You An Emotional Binge-Eater? Read This!